£19,728 to £22,325 per annum
Would you like the opportunity to work within a landmark pub in the heart of Manchester?
Run by The Union, Manchester Met, The Salutation is one of Manchester’s most historic pubs, one of only two in the city with original 1840s décor.
Working within an inclusive, empowering and aspirational culture, you’ll support the Head Chef with the development of The Union’s food service operation and supervision of the catering staff team in The Salutation.
Established in 1840, with over 170 years of history, The Salutation is widely known as one of Manchester’s most historic pubs. This venue boasts an authentic Victorian décor all restored from its original state.
In 2011, Manchester Metropolitan University purchased the pub from Punch Taverns and in June 2013, The Union took control of running the pub to re-establish its reputation as a city landmark.
In the summer of 2014, a £235,000 refurbishment of the building took place, which saw many of the original features retained to restore the character and ambience of the pub. During this time, the letting rooms upstairs were converted into function rooms available to book for all types of meetings and intimate events.
The pub is now home to students, university staff and the public. With our commitment to real ale, a cosy beer garden and many varied events, this is the ultimate pub on anyone’s bucket list.
What’s the job?
We are looking for someone to take a leading role in the preparation of meals in The Salutation, assisting in the development of new menus, specials and other related offers.
• You will oversee the running of The Salutation kitchen, leading a team of student staff, assisting them in their development and encouraging them to develop their product knowledge.
• You will ensure consistent quality and standards in the preparation, production and presentation of all food products: maximising profitability through driving sales and managing and controlling costs, stock, and margin effectively.
Who you are
• With experience of working in a similar role in a comparable environment, you’re able to prepare meals using fresh ingredients and are up-to-date with current trends and recent commercial developments in the food service industry.
• Highly motivated and results-oriented with drive and determination, you are able to work effectively on your own initiative.
• You are confident holding responsibility for kitchen premises and have a good knowledge of H&S, fire safety and food hygiene legislation.
• Positive about working in a student-led environment, you have the ability to lead and motivate a team of student staff.
There has never been a better time to work for The Union. Based just off Oxford Road, in the centre of vibrant Manchester, The Union will train you thoroughly, reward you well and encourage you to build a long-term career that inspires you.
The exact opposite of corporate, we’re progressive, creative individuals working to make a difference in unconventional workplaces. In return for your passion and experience, we offer the flexibility for work-life balance, a competitive salary for the non-profit sector and excellent holiday allowance. We’re absolutely open to considering requests for job-share or part-time working.
We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, or disability status.
We want to support diverse and inclusive work environments and are actively looking for people who share our values.
Apply now at: https://www.theunionmmu.org/about-us/jobs
Closing date: 12 noon on Wednesday 22nd August 2018
If you’re successfully shortlisted, we’ll see you at an interview during the week commencing Monday 3rd September 2018.
Work somewhere professional, but different. Build a career with students’ unions.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on Overlooked Talent requesting bank account details please email email@example.com